Thursday, May 2, 2019

Week 3: Cigarette Girl

Cigarette Girl was what I would like to call a "Surreal Read"

This title throws your now typical anime style out the window and establishes itself from the get go. I found that despite not being used to the style, anything more detail would've taken away from the situation and story being told. The character really shows through each individual despite not being the best art ever. I think what kept me engaged what the disconnect between the art style and the actions being played out in the manga. Explaining further, despite a character being hurt by falling down stairs the art style give off this "Bob's Burgers" vibe that doesn't make me believe that the character is in pain.

Cigarette Girl is definitely a title I would never pick up myself but I find I may recommend to anyone who's looking for an old read. I'm reminded of the Japanese saying "Shoganai" when reading this since all the characters just move on past their situations without hesitation. Life happens and sometimes you have to get a bowl for your dog to pee in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 3: Cigarette Girl

Cigarette Girl was what I would like to call a "Surreal Read" This title throws your now typical anime style out the window and ...