Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Random Reading: Pochamani

So venturing off the beaten path, I wanted to review a romance/shoujo manga I've recently started reading, Pochamani

Pochamani stars Mugi, a chubby high school girl who's smile and kindness never falters despite being bullied for her weight. Mugi lives out her highschool life surrounded by sweet friends and goes through life believing no one will ever love her. This all changes when she runs into Tagami, a boy with a "chubby fetish" or overall love for soft squishy things. Though overbearing and pushy at first Tagami expresses his love for Mugi by more than just his fetish but rather her attitude in life.

The reason why I wanted to talk about this manga was because its more than just some quirky manga with a token protagonist. Pochamani explains Mugi's hardships with her weight and never shames her for it rather she explains, "I hated hating myself much more than others hating me. So instead I decided to try loving myself." Despite Tagami's clear obsession with Mugi's chubbiness it's never expressed as dirty rather its shown as an exaggerated label of "pervertedness" his schoolmates gave him because they can't understand his attraction to someone different. Overall I think this manga  is a sweet school life story and would be an enjoyable read for fans of shojou or romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 3: Cigarette Girl

Cigarette Girl was what I would like to call a "Surreal Read" This title throws your now typical anime style out the window and ...