Sunday, March 31, 2019

Week 11: Fushigi Yuugi

With my tastes in manga in mind, I knew that I was going to have mixed feelings of Fushigi Yuugi. As a person who's not a big fan of isekai I found myself comparing this manga a lot to similar style mangas, mainly Sailor Moon & Inuyasha. Now my biggest ordeal with this isn't a dislike for Fushigi Yuugi but rather a "If it's like these other titles, why read it?" I really needed to know what this manga could bring to the table that would convince me to continues reading it. Chapter after chapter presents little to no new interest, in fact I'm only more noticing parallels to Sailor Moon (Usagi chasing after tuxedo mask) Then again I guess this can be a reflection of manga values during the time of release.

Fushigi Yuugi strikes me as a very basic shoujo that lacks the substance or hook to keep me reading. It falters next to bigger titles of it's time especially now looking back to it. Title's like Inuyasha are popular because in episode 1 alone we are shown the conflict between Inuyasha and Kikyo that keep us wanting to know what happened between the two and keep us around every episode after to see them meet. I think had Fushigi Yuugi had lead with a stronger concept it would have kept my attention longer rather than looking for something elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 3: Cigarette Girl

Cigarette Girl was what I would like to call a "Surreal Read" This title throws your now typical anime style out the window and ...